Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Defining Success

Someone once said "The life you live is the lesson you teach".

I couldn't agree more. This lesson however hasn't always been in the forefront of my mind as I've gone through life.  I haven't always thought of the trickle affect my actions and reactions have had on others. Only through experience and attained  humbled wisdom have I found accountability.

Recently my little sister (who's not so little anymore) called me to tell me she is writing a paper for her college course on an inspirational figure in her life and that she wanted to write it on me. She could have chosen a number of people in her life even a celebrity but to my surprise she choose me.

She told me I have always been there for her and always had the right thing to say to help her through her problems. She said the way I took chances in life and stepped through fear and rejection time and again inspired her and that she honored how I create my life even when others tell me it's not possible.

Her acknowledgment was so powerful I couldn't help but shed a few tears. I knew my little sister looked up to me but never to that degree. After hearing her talk about the influence I have on her life I couldn't help but think this is what success looks like.

For a long time I thought being famous and winning awards would make me successful. I even thought becoming rich would make me successful but after attaining a very small taste of my "so called" success I realized if I wasn't happy then there was no real success. I thought that alone was a breakthrough but after talking with my sister I truly understood that great success is positively affecting another person's life for the better. There is something even more beautiful about that person being family. I've always had a passion for this but hearing it from my sister touched me deeper than any other person I have helped before. It was exactly what I needed to hear as I am transitioning in life yet again. For that I am extremely grateful but even more than that,  knowing that I have been an influential figure in my little sisters life I can rest knowing I am already successful.


What does success look like to you and who can you acknowledge today?

No comments:

Post a Comment