Pages

Friday, October 17, 2014

A "Time Out" For Adults

Day 3 of The Feel Good Blogger Challenge (www.alexbeadon.com)

Daily Meditation Tutorial

Before I start, let me point out this is a practice. It's a practice for anyone no matter what culture or religious background you may have. It's what I like to call a "time out" for adults.


First of all you need to have a space that is just for you when you want to meditate. I suggest pick a spot that is quiet and comfortable for you. I always sit on my back porch. I like to hear the rustling of the trees in the breeze and birds chirping. It's my happy place.

Second find a comfortable seat. You can sit in a chair or cross legged on the floor or on your knees. Sometimes I like to sit cross legged against a wall. It helps keep me sit upright without a lot of work. Your choice. Just make sure your comfortable.

As you find your seat sit up tall lengthening the spine while sending the crown of the head to the sky and allow the eyes to gently fall closed.

Once you are there you want to connect. So, check into the body first. Scan it mentally from head to toe to become present to what is there. Maybe your body feels tired or strong. Do you have any kinks or aches or pains. While your scanning become present to the way your body feels but don't dwell on it. Simply recognize it then let it go.

After you have become present of your physical body start to check into the mind. Recognize where your mental state is. Is it busy, loud or chatty. Is it calm, quiet or still? Again, wherever you are just recognize the thoughts and let them go. Our mind likes to latch on to thoughts and take us for a ride by creating stories so be present enough to not follow them. I like to think of thoughts as ocean waves crashing on the shore coming and going. Sometimes I even like to imagine putting my thoughts into bubbles and watch them float on by. Do whatever works for you.

 Once you have become present to the mind and body focus your attention on your breath. Again, don't change your breath just become present to where it is naturally is in the moment. Is is deep or shallow? Be mindful that there is nothing to do here but breath natural and recognize it. Do this for at least five breaths before moving on.

After you have become present to your breath consciously start to deepen the breath. Take a few deep breaths in the nose and out the mouth. This helps to calm the body a bit further. Then give your breath a count. Inhale 1-2-3-4-5 Exhale 1-2-3-4-5. Repeat this at least five times or as long as you like. When we focus on the count of our breath there is no room for any other thoughts. This work is gently calming the nervous system and the mind.

When you feel done with the breath work allow yourself to just be. Continue to sit there sitting upright with your eyes closed. Sitting still can be quite a challenge for some. It's perfectly natural to want to move or feel that there are things to get done. Your mind may wonder. Let it. Then see if you can catch it and come back to the present moment. Maybe tune in the the sounds around you.

 I suggest setting an alarm on your phone for 5 minutes to start. Then maybe you want to up it to 10 minutes or 20 minutes. Each time you sit to meditate the experience will be different. Why? Because each time you sit down you are different. Our emotional and physical state are in constant fluctuation. By meditating we bring ourselves back to center.

Toward the end of your practice create an intention for the rest of your day. Maybe it's love or compassion. It could be patience or curiosity. Set what feels right for you in the moment. I like to set this intention toward the end of meditation because I am more in tuned with what I need. I can hear my intuition clearer.  

Keep in mind you may not feel instant results. It's a practice which means it takes time. Don't feel you have to do 20-30 minutes to be successful. Just by taking 5 or 10 minutes to center yourself and "just be" that's all you need. If you're one of those people that say "I don't have 5 or 10 minutes to just sit down!". You may be in need of it the most.

I suggest picking what time works best for you and stick to it like ritual. I like to sit in the morning when I wake up. I find it's a good way start to my day. Again, do what works for you.

Happy meditation and Namaste!





No comments:

Post a Comment