Pages

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

March 1, 2015

My first yoga teacher used to always say, "nothing ventured, nothing gained". Back in those early days of yoga I was so much in my mind these words would sometimes just pass me by until one day they didn't. I had been wanting to fly, meaning balance on my arms and lift my legs into crow pose (bakasana). My teacher and the other practitioners seemed to effortlessly lift off while my arms shook and my wrists ached as I ever so gently lifted one toe off the ground. Why couldn't I get this?!

I had to be willing to fall flat on my face. I had to be willing to let go of looking silly in class. I had to let go of what others thought. I had to let go of all my expectations. I practiced everyday at home and in class, crashing to the floor each time I lifted both feet. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Then one day in class my teacher led us once again into this pose and with the glorious balance of effort and surrender I flew for the first time. My mind was clear and my body was light. "Kamila, look I'm doing it!, I said in the loudest whisper I could muster. She glanced over with a smile and I crashed to the floor but I didn't care. I got there.

That moment lives in me each time I approach a pose that challenges me as well as in my life. How can you know you can achieve something if you never try. Will you let the fear of falling or failing stop you? Or, will you allow yourself to fall time and again until you don't? Remember if it doesn't challenge you, there is no growth.
"Nothing ventured, nothing gained." 

(Dedicated to my first teacher Kamila in Las Vegas. Thank you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment