Pages

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Santosha

Santosha:
 Contentment; being satisfied with the resources at hand - therefore not desiring more

As we enter the season of gratitude and thanksgiving we can also find Santosha. When we find gratitude for what is we can also find contentment.

It's easy to always want more as it's part of the human condition. And, although striving for a goal or to desire more is healthy and encouraged it's even more so to be content with what is. After all, right now is truly all we have. The past and the future only exist within our minds. They are merely stories we tell and create. Right now is all that exists.

When we find gratitude and contentment in the present moment, suffering of what should be or what could have been disappears. When suffering disappears the worries of the future do as well and if we can  continue to hold that space of energy the future moment shifts as well.

I find that when I start to worry of what could be and then become present to the abundance of the present  I can proceed with my goals of the future with joy. This is far more beneficial that anxiety when approaching something new.

My life is currently shifting as I transition from performing full time to teaching yoga and writing full time. At times I can get caught up with worries of the money or how is every thing going to work out. But when I look around at my present moment I find peace. I can enjoy my sound of the breeze and the new autumn chill. I can enjoy my husband and his passion for soccer as I hear  him yell at the game he is watching as I write my blog. I can enjoy the way my kitty snuggles up to me and shows me unconditional love. Everything is just as it should be. After all, right now is all we have and in a moment this too shall pass.

So why not enrich your life with finding gratitude and contentment for what is with no stories of the past or future. Then, watch how your perspective shifts.

What can you let go of to find Santosha right now?


1 comment:

  1. I agree! Santosha!
    One thing I'm realizing is that if I am discontent today, I'm practicing the art of discontentment. Then, even on an "easy-to-be-content" day, I will find it more difficult to be content because I've practiced discontentment.
    The hard part for me is when I'm separated from the things/people that I love. Should I be content anyway? Is that a slap in the face to the people/things I value the most if I say that I'm content today (without them around)?

    ReplyDelete