Pages

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Breakdowns

A Breakdown.... What is it?

Some people when they are saying they are having a break down they may literally mean they are helpless, crying, screaming, upset or maybe even a deep dark depression. Today I would like to redefine breakdown the way I use it in my life. It may be a helpful tool for you the next time something goes dramatically wrong.

First lets define breakdown...

Breakdown according to the dictionary...

        Breakdown- a mechanical failure or malfunction
                            a failure of a relationship or system

I'd like to state a breakdown is ANYTHING you planned that doesn't go the way you said it would or doesn't go the way you trusted it to be. It can be as big as losing a job or as little as a miscommunication with a friend or depending on how you see it. 

So what do we do when we have a breakdown?

I'll be honest I'm better with handling the big breakdowns than I am the little ones and in past I didn't handle them at all. But over the years through my developmental studies and practice I've gotten better. I recently had a big breakdown in my life. Fortunately I stayed calm. I knew in this situation I didn't have time to lose it. 

Here are the steps I took...

1.  I reached out immediately to those it would affect to be in communication. 
2. Afterward I  reached out to those that could lift me up and see the positive in the situation. 
3. I knew then I had to let myself feel and react, so alone I gave myself space to let it all out, to feel and react. Be human.
4. I then made the choice to give myself the time to just be, meaning rest and be with friends. I gave myself a time line to do this before getting into action. (I feel it's important to get a clear head and nurture ourselves before pushing to the next thing. If we are exhausted or emotional our intention may be clouded to others when we are trying to recreate a situation). 
5. After I had given myself that time to recollect it was time to get into action. 
6. Create a plan and go. Reach out to your community. They are your strongest resource. Be honest and authentic. It's ok to reach out for help. 

Above all know that whatever it is you are challenged by is temporary and it is the road to your next big thing. Trust in yourself and trust in life and if you forget call the ones in your life that remember...


 

2 comments:

  1. A few months ago a question came to me: "What happens when you do something you swore you never would do"... the answer also came: "You grow."
    Thanks for the practical steps on how to achieve said growth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few months ago a question came to me: "What happens when you do something you swore you never would do"... the answer also came: "You grow."
    Thanks for the practical steps on how to achieve said growth :)

    ReplyDelete