Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Keep Calm & Enjoy the Silence

Early this week I watched a 2 hour special on the evolution of our galaxy, planet and human beings on the History Channel. It was fascinating. The thing they claim to be the catalyst in our evolution from the so called "monkey to man" is the larynx. (where its placed and how it works to create sound) They claim that from this new tool is where we created language which helped our species survive. We could now communicate danger from afar.

The larynx and the vocal chords have become one of our most important tools on a daily basis evolution or not. We use language effortlessly as we communicate to one another. Our personality is wrapped up in the words we speak and our emotions are released through sound. Sometimes we don't recognize this until it's gone.

Over the last week I have been on vocal rest due to laryngitis. My vocals chords were attacked by serious inflammation after having a cold. Not being able to speak has been quite the struggle as I'm not able to express myself as I would normally choose through words and sound. Instead I had to mime and mouth everything to those around me. When doing this you quickly realize who is good at charades and who is not. If this happens to you, find the good ones and have them be your voice ;) I tried to make the best of it since crying or feeling depressed isn't going to make me any better.  As my voice progressively got better and I could speak a little but not too much to strain my chords. This is when I realized how to pick and choose my words effectively. How can I get my message across with as little words as possible? To add to that, when I found myself frustrated and wanting to yell or maybe say things that aren't necessary I actually had the time to catch myself before I caused any damage to myself or others.



As a singer having this illness takes it's toll on the heart. It's a very personal and intimate matter. Awful thoughts raced through my mind. What if I never sing again? What if my voice is damaged? What if I lose my job to this?  Taking a singer's voice is like taking their soul and it can play lots of tricks on our minds. I was lucky to have the support of my fellow singers who understand what I was going through. It was their love and patience  and constant reassurance that helped me stay calm.



I am one week and a day into the healing process and am not 100% but I'm getting there. Trying to find the silver lining in everything can be quite difficult at times but I'm going to say this experience has taught me to choose my words wisely, to listen intently, to care for my body better and most of all patience. Sometimes time is the only key to healing. 



OM....

No comments:

Post a Comment