Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

1st First Friday Friend Day! Dominique Wnuk

Starting today is the 1st  First Friday Friend Day where every first Friday of the month I will feature a guest writer to share what makes them go "OM". I originally got this idea because I am surrounded by such fantastic, powerful and positive women that inspire me daily and as sisters we need to stick together and share with one another. 

This week I am honored to share Dominique Wnuk with you all. She is my cousin, my best friend since diapers and a soul mate. She's an artist, photographer, wife, a go getter and just plain fabulous. I could go on and on but I'm gonna let her take the reigns.

Bright Pink 
By Dominique Wnuk

 Before I get started, I want to invite you all to join me in wishing my favorite motivator, influencer, Namaste-er, singer, songwriter, dancer, sister, cousin, BFF a very happy birthday! Here is to the best year ever! Love you.

“Anyone can hide. Facing up to things, working through them, that's what makes you strong.”
― Sarah Dessen
On her blog, Angela shares with us many empowering tips. Ideas to set goals, shift consciousness and live abundantly – all as a means to come from a place of "yes."
When she asked me to share some thoughts with you about living intentionally my mind raced on topics. I can make a killer to-do list, health-ify all kinds of recipes, reverse engineer goals like a pro, teach you techniques to take an award-winning photo, point you to work out routines and pin the most stunning wedding you can imagine on Pinterest (even though I'm already married). I'm always happy to share knowledge and gravitate towards learning new things from those around me.  I'd love to write about any of those things (and hope Angela has me back to do so).
Let's start here though. The aforementioned to-do list. I want to tell you about a task that was lingering on my to-do list that I recently crossed off. It was a unique accomplishment; A monkey on my back that brought with it fear. That bad energy has four letters – BRCA, a hereditary gene mutation that can predispose carriers to breast and ovarian cancer. Women with harmful mutations in either BRCA1 or BRCA2 have risk of breast cancer that is about five times the normal risk, and a risk of ovarian cancer that is about ten to thirty times normal (source). Having family members with the confirmed mutation, I could be a carrier. Onto my to-do list went "get tested for the BRCA mutation."


And there it sat. A commitment I was hiding from. I never made the appointment, telling myself if I had it I might believe myself into being sick or that it cost too much to get tested.  But then another cousin of mine reached out to share her experience with the testing, the information she was provided by her genetic counselors and about how positive her whole experience was, I couldn't hide from this any longer.
Here was a test that would identify my risk proactively, before it ever became life-threatening. Arming myself with knowledge, my risk and lifestyle changes is not something I should fear, in fact, it is smart and empowering. It will keep me around for my family. Once I shifted my consciousness around that blessing it became an opportunity. Being tested for the BRCA1 gene is an opportunity that was not afforded to women in generations before me.
And with that, I called my friends in the genetics department at a nearby hospital and scheduled an appointment. Here's a list of the risk for those who should consider the testing.
  • A personal history of breast cancer at age 50 or younger
  • A personal or family history of male breast cancer
  • A personal or family history of bilateral breast cancer (cancer in both breasts)
  • A personal history of ovarian cancer
  • A parent, sibling, child, grandparent, grandchild, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece or first cousin diagnosed with breast cancer at age 45 or younger
  • A mother, sister, daughter, grandmother, granddaughter, aunt, niece or first cousin diagnosed with ovarian cancer
  • A family history of both breast and ovarian cancers on the same side of the family (either mother's or father's side of the family)
I wanted to share this with you all as a means to encourage other strong, smart and beautiful women to consider their risk factors, do their research and get this test if you're at risk. To get started researching your family history here is a great list of questions to ask. 
Let's address the elephant in the room – the cost. If you're afraid of the costs here are a couple of tips. First, ask your genetic counselor for the insurance code, then call and check with your insurance carrier what the costs are before the appointment. My plan covered most of the testing due to my risk level and that I knew which strain my family member had been confirmed to have. And, the genetic testing center even provided paperwork saying that they would alert me of any cost exceeding $375 out of pocket before proceeding with reviewing the test. If you need assistance there is an amazing charity that Christina Applegate started called Right Action for Women where you can apply to obtain funding: http://rightactionforwomen.org/. Here's another great list of resources: http://www.brightpink.org/i-am-high-risk/financial-resources/  There are resources available to help you take control.

The visit itself entails a consultation with a genetics counselor who reviews your risk, discusses lifestyle changes and what steps could be taken for my breast and ovarian health of carriers and explains the screening.  The screen is a blood test or a saliva test. My results took 3-4 weeks to come in.
My results came back negative – there is no mutation present. And I am so, so grateful. However, there are still lifestyle changes I am enacting because my risk is still higher given my family history. Those measures include upping my exercise routine, changing my diet to include more fruits and vegetables (here is a great grocery shopping list), reducing chemical usage in my home, and getting a mammogram and MRI this year to get a baseline. Here are some more amazing tips: http://www.breastcancerfund.org/assets/pdfs/tips-fact-sheets/1-sheet-tip-cards.pdf
This may be a bit different than Angela's typical posts. I understand cancer can be a difficult and scary topic. But what I'm talking about is the bright side, because I truly believe there is one; the opportunity to take action. Spend the time doing the research, talking to other women and encouraging other women to take actions themselves. We have to support each other on and this is an amazing place to start.

Resources:
 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this information, so helpful! Based on my family history I need to have the test but had no clue where to even start. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me so, so, so happy to hear!! Thank you! Good luck in the test and I hope you encourage your family as well. We ladies have to stick together to stop this cancer BS.

      Delete