Pages

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Sharp Tongues

This week, I recognized each time something flew out of my mouth it was like a cannon ball whizzing threw the air heading for destruction. I have a sharp tongue to say the least but my intention is never to hurt someone. When I was younger my parents used to tell me, "It's not what you say but how you say it. Think before you speak Angela." I've heard these words repeated in my head many times and as an adult have come to understand what they mean but how much should we think about what we are saying?

Our words are the most powerful tool we have. They have the power to declare love or hate, to build or destroy cities as well as relationships or reputations. So many times we chatter thinking about what to say next filling our dialogue with non-sense. What if the words we spoke were intentional and heart felt? This isn't to say being silly or light hearted should be ignored but rather being fully accountable in what we are saying.

Not to long ago I said something as a joke about someone I don't know very well with a group of people and although they were there I realized it hurt that person. I felt awful. I didn't mean it at all as an insult but realized quickly it sounded like one. I immediately apologized. I realized in that moment my apology would either be accepted or it wouldn't and what ever the others thought about it was no longer in my control. Like a pebble thrown in the pond creating ripples in the water the thoughts where already created. I couldn't go around cleaning it up everywhere but I could clean it up at the source. We are not in control of how others perceive us but we can take accountability by owning the words that come out of our mouths. If you say it and it doesn't feel right after you have the power to clean it up. If you go around using words as toxic waste you can be responsible for the way your life shows up.


On the other side of the coin here is keeping your mouth shut and not expressing what you have to say about a subject. I am guilty of this too in fear of hurting someone or being judged by others. I know I'm not alone here but this isn't a healthy option either. So, when do we say something?

I think if what you have to say aligns with your highest integrity and values you should express it. Not everyone is going to like it but as long as it's true to you and there are no intentions of hurting another it should be communicated. As far as the fear of being judged... Let's get real, everyone is judging you just as you are judging everyone else. If you're going to care what people think of you, choose to care about the opinions of the ones you respect and love.

Be bold in your declarations, stand up for what you believe in and always do your best to express love. As your most powerful tool, be wise with your words.







No comments:

Post a Comment