Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

No Complaints

As I posted last week when I'm not practicing on my mat I'm practicing off my mat with intention. You'd be surprised at how just setting one intention for the day will shift your perception.

Ahimsa (non violence) is a recurring practice for me. Earlier this week I saw this post on Facebook...

I choose to take it on. It just so happens to align perfectly with ahimsa.

Here's what I noticed... I noticed complaining even about the pettiest things like the weather being hot was a natural way to connect with others. I really had to start thinking about what I was going to say. Then I started to notice the more I thought about what I was going to say the more intention was behind it. I'd ask myself, is what I'm going to say beneficial and why do I want to say something? This innate awareness was shifting my being. If I wasn't going to complain about anything what was I going to say? I noticed all that was left was something positive to share. I also started to determine if a declaration like "its hot",  was speaking the truth or if I was complaining. I really had to take notice of the context behind my words. If I was unsure I didn't say it. Because of my intention to not complain I was hyper aware at how much those around me complain. Why do we do this so often? To connect. We all want to feel a part of the whole and that includes those around us. We all need to be loved and want to feel accepted. We may not always agree on things but by complaining we can connect that we all suffer. We can feel heard and also reach out to someone to be of help or be helped. It was incredible how one intention shifted so much perception.

I found compassion and humor in this way of connectedness and yet I didn't participate. I observed and remained in control of my words and actions all from "not complaining". It felt good. I felt free from the restrictiveness of complaints. I started to embrace "what is". Then... I found Santosha (contentment). I could physically feel my vibration of energy shift into the positive like magic.

I don't think there is anything wrong with venting every now and then but I feel having awareness of it is important to our emotional well being. 

Have I complained since then??

Sure, but my awareness has not left me. By making a commitment day by day we grow and we connect one step at a time. Awakening one moment at a time and when we fall we get up and start again.

Will you try this on for 24 hours and see how it affects you? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment