Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

Yoga without a Pose

A lot of people originally are intrigued with yoga due to it's physical aspects. They may want to become more flexible or toned or maybe their Dr. recommend it as a sort of physical therapy. All in which are great ways to start yoga. But today I'd like to intrigue you with the more spiritual side; as Yoga is the connection between mind body and spirit. Each one affects the other.

Think about it... when you feel physically well you likely feel happier. When you feel happy your spirit lifts. You have a natural glow to you that shines on others. Now think about when you feel lethargic or upset and how quite the opposite happens within you and those around you. You are a constant vibration and you have the control not the other way around. Yoga is a practice to hone these skills on the mat and in your life. 



Today I'd like to talk about a couple other yoga practices we can take into our daily lives without the practice of asana (the physical practice).

The Yamas and Niyamas

Yama in Sanskrit mean restraint. Niyama means observances. These are considered to be the "do's" and "don'ts" in order to live a spiritual life.

The 5 Yamas
Ahimsa (restraint from doing harm/non-violence)
Satya (truthfulness)
Asteya (restraint from stealing)
Brahmacharya (avoidance of sexual exploitation)
Aparigraha (non-possessiveness or greed)

The 5 Niyamas
Shaucha (purity)
Santosha (contentment)
Tapas (spiritual austerities)
Swadhyaya (self and scriptural study)
Ishwarapranidhana (surrender or the devotion to God)

I know this can be a lot to take in at once so what I like to do is pick one or two a day and use them as a daily intention. Practicing one day at a time.

Ahimsa (restraint from doing harm/non violence) has been a daily practice for me recently. How do I take this on you wonder?

A few ways I take this on...

 Compassion with myself - when I get upset or when I recognize my own lack of integrity. Sometimes it's easier to handle someone else with compassion than it is ourselves. So this is a great practice using the intention of Ahimsa. ( I also find the more I practice this with myself the better I am with others)

Honoring the body and other beings -  having mindfulness with food I eat and products I buy. I read the labels of my products to look for "not tested on animals" as well as what is in the product as to not hurt myself or my family. My husband eats meat so I try to buy meat locally and/or meat that doesn't use antibiotics or hormones and are fed the proper diet. Remember what we put into our body is also a practice of Ahimsa. (non harm to ourselves). 

Respect for the planet -  making the effort to recycle even when our community doesn't have a system by separating our trash and taking it to the recycle center once a week. (non harm to the planet)

Granted I'm not perfect that's why this is a practice. Doing what we can little by little creates awareness and compassion.



As far as the Niyamas go I have been practicing Santosha (contentment)

As a human being our need for more seems endless. I know for myself I have realized several of my dreams and am currently living in exactly what I created. It's beautiful and wonderful but the desire for wanting more can create suffering. By practicing gratitude and contentment with what is relieves that desire and allows me to be present with the gift of now. Of course I fail at this sometimes but having the mindfulness of this intention brings be back to the present which brings me back Santosha (contentment)



I encourage you to pick one or two and practice this yoga in your daily lives and see how it shifts your perception and your heart along with those around you.

Come together and share what you will take on and the results it has.



Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment